My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://noctos.wordpress.com and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, October 05, 2004

Everyone carries a room about inside them.



John Holbo did a great little post on Wittgenstein and let me copy this anecdote.

From M. O'C. Drury's "Conversations With Wittgenstein", in Rush Rhees, ed. Recollections of Wittgenstein

DRURY: I am at present reading a Commentary on the Epistle to the Romans by a Swiss theologian, Karl Barth. it seems to me a remarkable book.

WITTGENSTEIN: Moore and I once tried to read the Epistle to the Romans together; but we didn't get very far with it and gave it up.

The next day I asked him if I might read out to him something of Karl Barth's. I had with me the volume called The Word of God and the Word of Man. I had only been reading for a short time when Wittgenstein told me to stop.

WITTGENSTEIN: I don't want to hear any more. The only impression I get is one of great arrogance. (p. 119)

And then:

In another letter he told me that he had been reading a Swiss theologian, Karth Barth. 'This writing must have come from a remarkable religious experience.' In reply I reminded him that years ago at Cambridge I had tried to read something of Barth's to him, and he had dismissed it as arrogant. He did not refer to this again. (p. 146)

Top Entertainment blogs
Entertainment Blogs
Entertainment Blogs