My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://noctos.wordpress.com and update your bookmarks.

Sunday, October 23, 2005

“I’m gonna stick my dick in a vagina in a minute, and everything is gonna be cool"



What else you need?
Our ever brilliant genius Yoni Wolf puts it so much better than you.
Elephant Eyelash (we've been slacking in checking it out but a kind soul pushed us right through the perineum, so yeahh cheers) is just doper than any crackazz record this year. The attacks of the elephants steam through yo. Now on to Hymie's Basement Redux & we will masturbate at your birthday party too!

[more yoni words check here]

An elephant eyelash is a hard on. Elephants grow old and have really good memories and seem sad. Elephants are big and awkward but have beautifull eyes with long girlish lashes.
CMJ - September 2005

So, WHY?....What's This Song About?
Interview by Christopher R. Weingarten

“Yo Yo Bye Bye”
We were playing this show in Tempe or something, and this girl comes up to me. I was looking at her the whole time. She was really cute. She gives me her address if I wanna be pen pals or something on some 13-year-old shit. So I wrote a letter to her. In San Antonio, I called my girlfriend and told her the story. She said, “You fucking asshole!” and broke up with me. I was sad as hell, walking around, looking for a pole to do pull-ups on and started to write this song. We were heading home from San Antonio. You stop at rest stops every three hours and there’s always a fucking DQ. We were in DQ and this guy was like, “No more! I can make no more cones! No more cones! Only Blizzards!” All these fucking fat people in there like [in a southern accent] “Goddammit, I gotta get a fucking Blizzard? I wanted a cone!” I wasn’t talking to nobody because I was so depressed, and then the line popped in my head—“I’m fucking cold like a DQ Blizzard”—and I started cracking up. Can I say that in a song? It was just the way I felt right then. It was so gritty it felt like the right thing to say.

“Fall Saddles”
This song is written to my dad. When I was 13 he gave me this tape he had just found in the closet. “Listen to these songs I recorded when I was 18.” They were really fucking dope. When I moved to California I took the tape with me. And I found that past the songs, there’s this letter to my mom. She had broken up with him and moved to Kansas City, and he had just found God in the Jesus Freak movement. He sent her this recorded letter, so that’s his voice cut up on my song. “Your fisted language still affects my style, though I still catch your visions like a child.” That was from one of his songs. Somebody says his voice sounds like Jerry Garcia, but I don’t know if that’s the case since I never listened to the Dead and he never did either. Our relationship has always been a little weird because he has that basis of spirituality; he’s a messianic rabbi—Jews who believe in Jesus. Holidays are quite a mix of things: speaking in tongues and doing Passover dinner.

“Gemini (Birthday Song)”
This is about [my ex] again. We went to Cincinnati for my brother’s wedding. We were staying at her parents’ old house, which was empty except for a bare mattress on the floor. She was sitting there clipping her toenails and just letting ’em fall. Certain girls can get away with that. If I did that, I’d be fucking nasty. But there’s a certain kind of girl that can get away with that and still be attractive for some reason. That became this visual metaphor for what our relationship was. The song is like a diary of the time. An “elephant eyelash” is a hard-on. I like to make my own pantheon of slang. Isn’t having a hard-on kind of vulnerable? It’s an anticipation. You’re always anticipating that things are gonna be cool in a minute. “I’m gonna stick my dick in a vagina in a minute, and everything is gonna be cool.” But you’re just standing there with a hard-on.

“Whispers Into The Other”
This was the only song written after we had split up. I stayed over her house one night ’cause I had locked myself out of my house. I was taking a piss and I found a fuckin’ used condom in the trash can. The absolute worst feeling you can have ever. Needless to say, I couldn’t sleep that night.

Why?’s second album, Elephant Eyelash (Anticon), is a pre-break-up album full of Yoni Wolf’s tiny snatches of hip-hop-centric mood poetry and a rollicking, Elephant-6-ready four-piece band. He is currently single, but the ex-girl in question (featured on the cover art) is currently dating someone who Wolf chivalrously describes as “a cool dude.”

Top Entertainment blogs
Entertainment Blogs
Entertainment Blogs