My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://noctos.wordpress.com and update your bookmarks.

Saturday, May 21, 2005

And a prize after all!



Okay so Broken Flowers gets the runner up Award. The Grand Prix prize is slowly becoming the category to watch (last year Oldboy, now Jarmusch). Actually I'm sorta glad with this list of winners. It's also really good to see two awards for The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada which sounds like a very interesting film. Guillermo Arriaga (21 grams fame) is a great screenwriter. And well I guess the Dardennes are ok. I liked The Son (Le Fils).

But good one Jim & a nice speech as well. I wonder what your "very strange jury" comment was about. My bet is you're just being your funny self but one newspaper already interpreted this as "you being disappointed", which seems to be ridiculous if you read the whole speech:

"I'm speechless, exclaimed Jarmusch. It's a great honor to accept this prize on behalf of all those who worked on this film. When making a film, all the cast and crew are on equal footing. Thanks to all who made this film possible, especially Bill Murray. Without him, the scenario would never have been written. And I thank this very strange Jury and the Festival who have also welcomed my work here throughout the years, to Thierry Frémaux, and Gilles Jacob who is one of the great gentlemen on the planet."

He added, "I would also like to say quickly that I do not believe in competition for artistic works. It's already an honor to be selected in the competition and to be here next such great directors as Atom Egoyan, David Cronenberg, Amos Gitaï, Lars Von Trier, Gus Van Sant, Johnnie To and Mr. Hou Hsiao-Hsien as I am one of his students, Wim Wenders who has been so generous with me when I began making movies 20 years ago and Robert Rodriguez. I accept this award in the name of all filmmakers who follow their heart and make films that interpret their vision. We are part of the same family and it's an honor to be included in this family."

The complete list of winners:

Palme d'Or (Golden Palm): "The Child," Jean-Pierre and Luc Dardenne (Belgium)
Grand Prize: "Broken Flowers," Jim Jarmusch (United States)
Jury Prize: "Shanghai Dreams," Wang Xiaoshuai (China)
Best director: "Hidden," Michael Haneke (Austria)
Best actor: Tommy Lee Jones, "The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada" (United States)
Best actress: Hanna Laslo, "Free Zone," Israel
Best screenplay: "The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada," Guillermo Arriaga (Mexican screenwriter, U.S. film)
Golden Camera (first-time director): "Me and You and Everyone We Know," Miranda July, (United States), and "The Forsaken Land," Vimukthi Jayasundara (Sri Lanka)
Best short film: "Wayfarers," Igor Strembitskyy (Ukraine)

Top Entertainment blogs
Entertainment Blogs
Entertainment Blogs